Darlene Jensen Talks About the Theatre Adventure Program

Darlene Jensen reports on the Theatre Adventure Program.

In 2007, a need was found for an inclusive youth theatre program for all of Brattleboro’s disabled community.  Thus, the Theater Adventure Program was born.  It is run not only competently, but joyfully, by Directors Laura Lawson-Tucker and Darlene Jensen, out of the West Village Meeting House in West Brattleboro.  Many students and mentors return year after year, and indeed many students have been invited to become mentors to new troupe members.  Those of any level of ability are welcome to come.  The Looking Glass conducted an interview with Jensen about the program so that SVC students can learn about it.

Students and mentors have found the program through word of mouth, and Theatre Adventure also has connections with local agencies and school programs that focus on the same population. If someone is interested in joining Theatre Adventure they can call Laura Lawson-Tucker, and set up a meeting to talk more about it, or schedule a time to come observe a class.  The class runs seasonally, on Wednesday and Thursday mornings at the West Village Meeting House in West Brattleboro.

Jensen urges those of all abilities to join in the fun.  Jensen said, “Many students have been involved with us for many years. One, they are naturally drawn to theatre, and two, they find a ‘home’ here— a place where they are valued. They learn new skills and make and keep friends who also enjoy theatre.”

For those who would like to become mentors, they would first have to grow into the role by first participating in a few sessions. Lawson-Tucker works one-to-one with aspiring mentors “to set goals and begin to develop skills that are more about mentoring, helping others, ” said Jensen.

Jensen says she was first drawn to the program when Laura Lawson-Tucker had the idea. Lawson-Tucker wanted to start a theatre program for youth with disabilities, and knew Jensen would make a good teammate.

Jensen was inspired to start this program by her son, Elijah, who has cerebral palsy. Jensen said that she and Lawson-Tucker noticed “there were very few offerings for artistic activities that were designed for people who learned differently, especially as one grew older…We made up what we called the Reverse Mainstream Model – meaning people with disabilities were driving the curriculum and accommodations to the curriculum and typically developing students joined in.”

The first summer camp was in 2004 and was funded by a start-up grant from The Robin Foundation.  For the last 12 years, funding has come from tuition fees, donations, and grants.  These grants come from such organizations as Vermont Children’s Trust Foundation, Thompson Trust, VT Community Foundation, and many others.

Jensen has high hopes for the future of the Program. “We will keep Theatre Adventure going as long as possible. We have many return students and people depend on this program as a place to learn new skills, explore acting, singing and dancing, develop job readiness skills, make and develop friendships and to show their talents to audiences through yearly productions.”

Additional information can be found at The NEYT website (neyt.org), or call Laura Lawson Tucker at 257-7024 for more information.  Anyone is welcome to stop by and check out the impressive talents of the cast and crew.

Youth Program

Jensen fulfilling her various roles in TAP (Photos by Laura Bliss). Photos 2 and 4 are with her son Elijah.