Considering Alternative Spring Break?

Considering Alternative Spring Break?

Spring break is quickly approaching, and not everyone has a car or the option to take a vacation. For the first time, the residence halls will be open to more than just student athletes. During this time, students may not know how to spend their time off. If you don’t read all of your emails, then you may not know another option! Audrey Ames, the coordinator of student engagement, works alongside the Saint Bernard Project (SBP) agency to find locations that are in need of extra help. Here at SVC, this experience is known as Alternative Spring Break (ASP).

The Saint Bernard Project was created by Zack Rosenburg and Liz McCartney in 2006 after volunteering in Louisiana. They helped rebuild St. Bernard Parish in Louisiana,  after Hurricane Katrina flooded and destroyed the area. They became upset with how slow the rebuilding process was and were inspired by the community to help. Together they created SBP with 5 ways they could intervene to achieve their desired mission. These 5 interventions are to: rebuild, share, prepare, advise and advocate. This organization has helped over 1,500 families, and has partnered with over 180,000 volunteers.

The first Alternative Spring Break on record was in 2009. Students had traveled to New York City to help with a food pantry. Since then, SVC students have traveled to Virginia, Maine, Washington, DC and Pennsylvania. This is a chance for students to give back and do community service, in their free time. Last year, students helped out right here in Bennington County. ASP is free for all students that are interested, and each year, a handful of students volunteer.

This year between March 17th and the 23rd, ASP is going to Columbia, South Carolina. Students will be doing 4-7 hours of community service a day. This location was chosen based on who needed the most help. Back in October of 2018, Hurricane Michael hit South Carolina and caused significant damage. Those who were affected by Katrina in 2005 are also still trying to financially recover. Some volunteers will be helping Katrina victims get back into stable living environments.

For more information please reach out to Audrey Ames at [email protected] or go to the SBP website at http://sbpusa.org/.

Feature photo belongs to McGill University