Stoner Films To Watch On 4/20 (Warning: Explicit Content)

Looking for some stoner flicks to watch with a bud while you celebrate 4/20? Check out these totally awesome recommendations from Torrey Kurtzner.

Stoner Films To Watch On 4/20

By Torrey Kurtzner

Mark your calendars, dudes and dudettes, because 4/20 is upon us! While celebrating the holiday this Wednesday, you might be thinking to yourself: “Gee, I really wanna watch some stoner films to get into the 4/20 spirit, but I don’t know of any that exist. If only there was a recommendation list on the TLG website that I could turn to during this dire time…”

Well, I’ve got good news for you, random 4/20 enthusiast! Some totally awesome stoner flicks do exist, and I’ve got you covered on the recommendations! So without further ado, let’s kick off 4/20 with a deep inhale, as we delve into my personal favorite stoner flicks that I think capture the true meaning of the holiday.

Dazed and Confused (1993)

The Plot:

A group of rowdy teenagers in Austin, Texas, celebrate the last day of high school in 1976. The film captures the first day and night of their summer break. The upperclassmen are on a mission to haze the incoming freshmen, and everyone is trying to get stoned, drunk, or laid at the first big party of the summer.

Why You Should Watch It On 4/20:

This movie is essentially one big party scene, in which the protagonists go from location to location in search of cheap beer, rockin’ music, killer weed, and a good time. It also has a bitchin’ 1970’s soundtrack and genuine characters that feel real, man.

On a Side Note:

Here’s the tagline that was used for the film’s advertising:

“It was the last day of school in 1976, a time they’d never forget… if only they could remember.”

Friday (1995)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxduMVVnrvU

The Plot:

The film follows a day in the life of unemployed Craig Jones (Ice Cube) and his drug dealing friend, Smokey (Chris Tucker). Together, the two friends must find a way to pay Smokey’s employer, Big Worm, $200 by 10:00 p.m. that Friday night.

Why You Should Watch It On 4/20:

Ice Cube and Tucker have great comedic chemistry, and they keep things interesting throughout the film’s runtime. The film also features a ton of scenes in which the two actors simply sit on a porch and smoke weed, all the while talking about the topics of everyday life in South Central Los Angeles, California.

Pineapple Express (2008)

The Plot:

After dropping his joint in panic upon witnessing a murder, process server and all around goofball stoner, Dale Denton (Seth Rogen) finds himself in a world of trouble. Upon learning that the rare strain of weed he was smoking can be traced back to him and his drug dealer (James Franco), the two go on the run, with a dangerous drug lord and a crooked cop in pursuit.

Why You Should Watch It On 4/20:

Aside from the fact that it’s written by and starring Seth Rogen (who is arguably one of the biggest names in the stoner-comedy genre today), it’s also extremely funny and features a ton of smoking. Hell, the movie’s plot revolves around weed!

On a Side Note:

While a comedy, the film has some action elements (gunplay) that might turn off some people that aren’t down for violence on 4/20.

The Big Lebowski (1998)

The Plot:

After he’s assaulted as a result of mistaken identity, a slacker by the name of Jeffrey “The Dude” Lebowski (Jeff Bridges) learns of a millionaire also named Jeffrey Lebowski, who was the intended victim. When the millionaire Lebowski’s trophy wife is kidnapped, he commissions The Dude to deliver the ransom to secure her release. As this is happening, The Dude seeks restitution for his soiled rug with the help from his bowling team (John Goodman and Steve Buscemi).

Why You Should Watch It On 4/20:

Bridges performance as the titular stoner hero who goes by “The Dude” is breathtaking. Goodman is also a tour de force as Walter, The Dude’s crazy, Vietnam veteran friend. The Dude also smokes a ton of pot in this movie, and much like the character of Spicoli, is extremely laid back in his demeanor. Hell, The Dude is so popular within the stoner community, he’s got his own philosophy! (Dudeism)

Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle (2004)

The Plot:

An accountant named Harold (John Cho) and his lazy friend, Kumar (Kal Penn), get stoned while watching television and find themselves utterly transfixed by a commercial for White Castle. Convinced there’s one nearby, the two set out on a late-night quest to satisfy their case of the munchies. A series of misadventures happen along the way.

Why You Should Watch It On 4/20:

This movie is literally about two stoners getting the munchies and going on a quest to get burgers. What else could you want from a stoner film?

On a Side Note:

For those who are fans of the TV show How I Met Your Mother, Neil Patrick Harris is in this film (playing a satirical version of himself), and he’s easily the best part of the entire movie.

Half Baked (1998)

The Plot:

After a friend of theirs gets arrested for killing a New York City police horse by feeding it junk food, three stoners attempt to raise bail by selling pot stolen from a pharmaceutical lab.

Why You Should Watch It On 4/20:

Because Dave Chappelle is the man. That, and because this film is a stoner classic. The three friends sell stolen weed to get their friend out of jail. That right there is what 4/20 is all about. Friendship, weed, and mostly illegal activity (unless of course you’re from one of these states; then it’s either deemed as legal for recreational use, or legal for medical use).

Fast Times At Ridgemont High (1982)

The Plot:

The film follows the misadventures of several Ridgemont High School students over the course of a school year. Throughout the movie, the students can be seen enjoying their most favorite subjects: sex, drugs and rock n’ roll.

Why You Should Watch It On 4/20:

Four words: Sean Penn’s Jeff Spicoli. Spicoli is one of the most influential stoner characters to come out of 1980’s cinema. Penn’s performance as the southern Californian student who loves surfing and smoking dope deserves the highest of all praises.

On a Side Note:

In Junior High, I owned a Jeff Spicoli t-shirt that read one of his most famous quotes from the film: “I’m so wasted!” Needless to say, my parents were not impressed.