Adjusting to Life on Campus: Taking Chances

Eva Orr (Psychology, Class of 2016) shares her experience of adjusting to life on campus, and gives future students advice as she looks back on her time at SVC!

A lot of us feel the pressure to try new things, worrying “what if I embarrass myself?”—especially when you are in a new place.  When you first arrive to college, you are adjusting to a new life—a new you.  You are more independent than you have ever been, and in that you are able to discover and try new things every day.  Eva Orr shares her experience adjusting to life on campus and reminds us to take chances:

“Moving into college was a big event for me, as it should be for every new student. There is something so authentic about being in a new place with so many new people who are also experiencing the nervous excitement. I think that’s the reason why first-year students make friends so fast.  From the moment we move on campus, our support systems become those around us. I know it only took me a few days before I was great friends with some of my roommates and building mates.

“I probably was not the most involved freshman, and I am definitely not the most involved senior this year. I have always been focused on having a job and getting good grades; those two things are very important to me.  I was able to do work study in the library when I was a freshman, which was perfect for me, as I did not have a car that year.

“Looking back on my time at SVC, I would probably change a few things.  I would put myself out there more—maybe join a sport or a club.  I would try and socialize more instead of secluding myself to my friend group.  But all in all, I have loved my time here at SVC.  I have met some of my best friends, and SVC is where I met my boyfriend.  I love the people here and the relationships I have made.

“I am really happy to have had the opportunity to go to SVC and get a degree in psychology (not until May though ☹), and if I were to give other students advice I would tell them to not be afraid to take chances and try new things. Who cares if you look silly trying.  You might really like it, and you might find that you’re really good at it!”

Eva reminds us the importance of taking chances.  Southern Vermont is a great place to make a new home, build new relationships, and create change.  Have you taken any chances lately? Share your story with us at [email protected]