SVC Planning for the Future – Press Release

Southern Vermont College (SVC) President David Evans presented a five-year strategic plan to launch the private, liberal arts College’s vision and goals for future planning.

The strategic plan focuses on several key initiatives including enhancing enrollment management and fundraising, offering select personalized academic programs grounded in the liberal arts, providing compelling co-curricular programs and promoting student success. “Southern Vermont College will be a(n) . . . intentionally small institution providing a challenging and supportive learning environment for students from a wide range of cultural, economic and educational backgrounds. By embracing diversity, engaging the local community, and taking advantage of its unique natural and geographic setting, SVC will further enhance its existing strengths while seeking opportunities for new programs and initiatives that will broaden and enrich the student experiences it provides.”

The president, who shared the plan at a meeting of faculty and staff, spoke about the goal to recruit students for graduation. “A few years ago, the College looked at what makes for a successful student experience at SVC. With that data, we have redesigned our admission efforts to recruit students who want to graduate from SVC. These are students who understand the quality of our academic programs, want to participate in our athletics program, want to be involved in campus activities, and want to walk across the stage with an SVC degree in their hand. These students come from as far away as California and as nearby as Bennington, and we welcome their diversity of thought and their diversity of experience.”

Evans cited SVC’s number 25 ranking for regional colleges in “U.S. News & World Report” as acknowledgement of the College’s gains in its efforts. “SVC is moving forward. We are saddened to hear announcements from other area colleges that are struggling, and we want to assure our current and prospective families that we are planning for the future.”

Recently, the College announced the return of its environmental sciences major, the expansion of its Good Neighbor Scholarship to high schools in Massachusetts as well as in New York and Vermont, and its classroom-to-workforce partnership with Southwestern Vermont Health Care.

For more information on the environmental sciences major or other SVC initiatives, contact Office of Admission at 802-447-6300 or [email protected].